Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Learning Outcomes for Grade 6

Hello 6B Parents and Teachers,

   Below is a list of the Learning Outcomes we are going to be focusing on for the rest of this school year.  Our primary focus will be around the outcomes in Language Arts and Math, with some additional work in Social Studies and Science.

   Please let me know if you have any questions.

Andrew Cull

LANGUAGE ARTS – Grade 6

General Outcome 1: Students will listen, speak, read, write, view and represent to explore thoughts, ideas, feelings and experiences.
I can read, write and talk to explain my prior knowledge connections to new information.
I can use talk, writing, reading and others’ ideas to understand.

General Outcome 2: Students will listen, speak, read, write, view and represent to comprehend and respond personally and critically to oral, print and other media texts.
I can combine personal experience with new ideas when I read see or hear.
I can use a variety of strategies to help me read and understand new words.
I can read from a variety of genres and cultures.
I can summarize what I read, see and hear.
I can connect events, characters and settings when I summarize.
I can explain reasons for a character’s actions or feelings.
I can draw conclusions related to events, characters, setting and main idea.

2.3 Understand Forms Elements and TechniquesI can identify and talk about the similarities and differences of different types of readings.
I can identify the main problem in things I read, see and hear.
I can explain how conflict is resolved in things I read see or hear.

2.4 Create Original Text
I can choose forms of writing and ideas and details that match audience and purpose in my own writing.
I can use my own experiences to find ideas for writing.

General Outcome 4: Students will listen, speak, read, write, view and represent to enhance the clarity and artistry of communication.
4.1 Enhance and Improve
I can ask for and use feedback about my writing from others.
I can narrow down or expand ideas in my writing.
I can delete unnecessary information.
I can make sure verb tense and pronouns are correct.
I can use paragraphs in fiction and non-fiction writing.
I can choose words that are just right for my audience and purpose.
I can play with different parts of my writing like sentence structure and word choice to choose the best way to communicate.
I can write clearly and legibly.

4.2 Attend to ConventionsI can edit my writing for commonly misspelled words.
I can attend to grammar.
I can attend to capitalization and punctuation.

Mathematics -  Grade 6

GENERAL OUTCOME: Numbers
Develop Number Sense
I can explain how the pattern of the place value system makes it possible to read and write numerals for numbers of any size.
I can solve problems that involve whole numbers and decimals.
I can solve a problem involving factors and multiples.
I can provide a concrete or visual representation for ratio.
I can explain, verbally, concretely or pictorially that per cent means out of 100.
I can solve problems that involve multiplication and division of decimals using multipliers from 0 to 9 and divisors from 1 to 9.

GENERAL OUTCOME: Patterns and Relations
Use patterns to describe the world and to solve problems.
I can identify the unknown in a problem and represent the problem.